For the first time ever I tried making karela pickle and it was a big hit. Here is the recipe..
Karela / bitter gourd ..... 200 gms
Garlic .................. 1 tbsp (crushed)
Mustard seeds ..... 1 tbsp
Asafoetida .......... 1/8 tsp
Turmeric powder .. 1/4 tsp
Jaggery ............. 1 tsp. or little more (as per your taste)
Vinegar .......... 1-2 tbsp.
Dry Roast & grind:
Cumin seeds ...... 1 tbsp
Coriander seeds .. 1 tbsp
sesame seeds ....... 1 tsp
Dry red chillies ... 5-6
1. Peel and cut the karelas into small pieces. Sprinkle salt and leave them for few hours or overnight in a refrigerator. Drain the water and set aside.
2. Dry roast and grind the mentioned spices coarsely.
3. In a pan heat oil and add the asafoetida and mustard seeds. When they crackle, add the garlic and saute.
4. Now put the karela pieces and simmer for one more minute, turning in between.
5. Tip in the dry ground masala and jaggery. Check the salt and finally stir in the vinegar and mix well.
The pickle is ready to be consumed right away. It can also be preserved in the refrigerator like any other pickle. Only ensure there is enough oil.
Karela pickel looks yummy.ReplyDelete
My Monthly Event - Spotlight : "Healthy Breakfast Ideas".
never made pickle from karela. this is interesting recipe to me. does this pickle taste bitter or not?ReplyDelete
Not really.. it is very nice.. must try sometimeDelete
hi shobha, something, first time seen this bitter gourd in pickles. bookmarked with thanks.have a nice dayReplyDelete
Thanks for liking dearDelete
Karela is my favorite,mouthwatering pickle..ReplyDelete
My mouth is watering, but this might be a little too hot for me with the chilies. As always, excellent instructions and presentation. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for always appreciating and encouraging Andy :0Delete
Woww.. this is amazing Shobha.. Truly tempting.. thanks for sharing the wonderful recipe :)ReplyDelete
My pleasure HariDelete
This is very new never tried pickle from bitter gourd .Looks tasty.ReplyDelete
It is really tasty Nayna.. must tryDelete