Garlic cloves ... 15 - 20
Shallots ........ 10
Tomato ... 1 small
Coconut .... 1/2 cup (grated)
Tamarind ... lemon sized
Dry red chillies .. 5-6 (add more if you like spicy curry)
Red chilli powder .. 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder .. 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder ... 1 tsp
Pepper corns .. 1 tsp
Fenugreek/ methi seeds ...1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds ... 1 tsp
Curry leaves .. 1 sprig
Asafoetida ... 1 pinch
Oil .. as needed
1. Soak the tamarind in half cup of water for about half an hour . Squeeze and remove the thick juice.
2. Peel the garlic and shallots.
3. Grind the coconut to a fine paste.
3. Dry roast and grind dry red chillies, methi seeds, pepper corns and cumin seeds.
4. Grind the Tomato with 5 shallots and 5 garlic cloves.
5. Add the ground spices to this and a little water. Grind together to make the masala paste.
6. Heat oil in a pan and add the asafoetida, mustard seeds, Broken red chillies and curry leaves.
7. When they crackle, add the whole garlic cloves and shallots. Saute for 2 minutes.
8. Add the ground masala paste and the coconut paste and saute adding the salt and spice powders.
9.Now add the tamarind extract and sufficient water to cook. ( quantity of water could be 1 cup or more if you like more gravy.)
10. Simmer until done.
Note: If you like you can do the tempering in the end when the curry is ready. I do iit in the beginning to avoid more oil.
Recipe Source - You Too Can Cook