Ghee rice is a flavourful rice made with whole spices tempered in desi ghee. This is a perfect dish to serve when you entertain.It goes well with all the shahi curries. Usually this is prepared with short grained rice (Jeera Rice ) or any normal one. You may use Basmati if you like.
Rice ... 1 & 1/2 cups
Onion ... 2 tbsps (optional)
Ginger .... 1 tsp (grated)
Garlic ... 1 tsp (crushed)
Green chillies ... 1-2 (slit)
Salt .. to taste
Ghee / clarified butter .. 2 tbsps
Whole spices :
Cardamoms .. 3-4
Cinnamon stick ... 1 piece
Bay leaves .. 1-2
Cloves .. 2-3
Star anise .. 1-2
Cumin seeds .. 1 tsp
1. Wash the rice and soak it.
2. In a pan heat the ghee and add the whole spices mentioned in the list.
3. When they give out aroma, (take care not to make them black ), add the green chillies and ginger garlic pastes. Stir fry and add onion at this stage. (I did not add it )
4. If you add onions, stir fry until translucent. Now add the rice and saute.
5. Measure the water double the quantity of rice used and make it hot.
6. Add the water and salt. Stir and bring to a boil.
7. Cook on medium and simmer towards the end.(you can pressure cook it if you like.)
Note: You can give a rich look by adding fried cashew nuts.
The recipe is adapted from " You Too Can Cook "