Kheerni is a traditional Sindhi kheer made on all the auspicious and festive days in most of the Sindhi homes. Today I given it a little twist by adding thick mango pulp for a change.
Milk ....... 1 litre
Sabudana/sago ... 1/2 cup (soak with enough water to cover for 2-3 hours)
Green cardamom... 4-5
Sugar ............... 3/4 or 1 cup (depending on how sweet you want it )
Kesar/saffron ..... 7-8 threads
Salt ........... half a pinch
Ghee ....... 1/4 tsp.
Pistachios & almonds (unsalted)... a few (chopped)
Mango pulp .. 1 cup
1.In a pan boil the milk.(If using full cream milk, add a cup of water)
2. Add in the soaked sabudana, cardamoms (slightly crushed) saffron, half a pinch of salt and 1/4 tsp. ghee.
3. Let it simmer and keep stirring from time to time until the sabudana are cooked and the milk is reduced to half.( It takes approx. 30 minutes)
4. Meanwhile take the mango pulp in a thick bottomed saucepan and cook it by continuously stirring with a spatula until it is reduced to half and is quite thick in consistency.
5. Now mix the sugar well and simmer again for a minute.
6. Switch off the gas and let it cool. Now stir in the mango pulp and mix well.
7. Garnish with chopped nuts and serve hot or chilled.