Kheerni is a traditional Sindhi kheer made on all the auspicious and festive days in most of the Sindhi homes. Today I given it a little twist by adding thick mango pulp for a change.
Milk ....... 1 litre
Sabudana/sago ... 1/2 cup (soak with enough water to cover for 2-3 hours)
Green cardamom... 4-5
Sugar ............... 3/4 or 1 cup (depending on how sweet you want it )
Kesar/saffron ..... 7-8 threads
Salt ........... half a pinch
Ghee ....... 1/4 tsp.
Pistachios & almonds (unsalted)... a few (chopped)
Mango pulp .. 1 cup
1.In a pan boil the milk.(If using full cream milk, add a cup of water)
2. Add in the soaked sabudana, cardamoms (slightly crushed) saffron, half a pinch of salt and 1/4 tsp. ghee.
3. Let it simmer and keep stirring from time to time until the sabudana are cooked.
4. Meanwhile take the mango pulp in a thick bottomed saucepan and cook it by continuously stirring with a spatula until it is reduced to half and is quite thick in consistency.
5. Now mix the sugar well and simmer again for a minute.
6. Switch off the gas and let it cool. Now stir in the mango pulp and mix well.
7. Garnish with chopped nuts and serve hot or chilled.