Gobhi / cauliflower ... 1 small
Shalgum / turnips ... 2
Gajar / carrots .... 1
Fresh red chillies ... 3-4
Fennel seeds / saunf... 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds /jeera... 1 tbsp
Fenugreek methi seeds ... 1 tsp
Mustard seeds / rai .. 1 tsp
Dry red chillies .. 2-3
Ginger ..... 2 inch piece .. (julienned)
Jaggery .... 2 tbsps
Salt ... as needed
Turmeric powder .. 1 tsp
Asafoetida / hing ... 2-3 pinches.
Vinegar .... 2-3 tbsps
Mustard oil .. 1/2 cup
1. Cut the cauliflower into small florets and the carrots, fresh red chillies and turnips into long 2 inch pieces.
2. In a pan take water. Add salt and bring to a boil. Tip in the cut vegetables and switch off the gas. Leave them for 15 - 20 minutes in the water. Drain and spread them on a kitchen towel spread in a tray to remove all the moisture.
3. Dry roast the fennel seeds, cumin seeds, methi seeds, mustard seeds and dry red chillies. Grind them to a coarse powder.
4. In a pan add the vinegar and jaggery. Stir it until it melts. Now add the ground masalas, salt, ginger, turmeric powder. Tip in the vegetables and stir carefully until the masalas are coated well. Let it cool.
5. In another pan heat the oil and switch off the gas to cool it. Add the asafoetida while it is a bit warm.
6. Spoon the vegetables and oil into a sterilized jar.
7. Keep it out in the sun and give it a shake everyday until it is ready.
I made it in peak summer and it was ready in 2 days.
I always refrigerate pickles to avoid fungus forming in them.