Brinjals .. 1/2 kilo (preferably small ones cut into 1 inch long pieces - about 3 cups )
Ginger .... 1 tbsp (grated)
Garlic ..... 1 pod (crushed)
Red chilli powder 2 tbsps
Turmeric powder ... 2 tsps
Mustard powder .... 2 tbsps
Fenugreek powder .. 1 tbsp
Cumin powder ...... 1 tbsp
Sugar ............. 1/4 cup
Vinegar ........ 1/4 cup
Tamarind pulp .... 2 tbsps ( I used 1 tbsp dry mango powder instead)
Salt ...... to taste
Curry leaves .. handful
Dry red chillies .. 4-5
Oil ....... 1/2 to 3/4 th cup for the pickle
Extra oil to fry the brinjals
1. Cut the brinjals into one inch strips and sprinkle salt on them
2. Heat oil in a pan and fry them until half done. Don't make them mushy.
3. Lightly dry roast the masalas and grind them coarsely.
4. In a pan heat the oil for the pickle and add the crushed garlic ginger, broken red chillies and curry leaves.
5. When they start to change the colour reduce the heat and add the spice powders and salt.
6. Stir for a few seconds and add the sugar and vinegar. Keep stirring until the sugar melts.
7. Now tip in the fried brinjals and stir carefully until they are well coated.
8. Let the pickle cool. Store in a sterilized bottle and refrigerate it.