This is a South Indian dish... Vadas soaked in tangy rasam. Medhu vadas normally are made only from urad dal but today for a change I have also mixed yellow moong dal .
Ingredients for Vadas:
Urad dal ... 1/2 cup
Moong dal ... 1/2 cup
Onion ....... 2-3 tbsps (finely chopped)
Green chillies ... 1-2 (finely chopped)
Coriander leaves .. handful
Salt... to taste
Baking powder ... a pinch
Oil ..... to fry
1. Soak dals for a few hours.
2. Grind it adding salt. Keep the consistency thick. Add very little water while grinding.
3. Mix the baking powder, onion, green chillies, and coriander leaves.
4. Heat oil and fry the vadas to a golden brown colour.
To make Rasam:
Boiled Toor dal ... 1/2 cup
Tamarind paste ... 2 tbsps
Rasam powder .. 3-4 tsps
Tomatoes ... 2
Garlic .. 1 tsp (crushed) - optional
Turmeric powder ... 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder ... 1/4 tsp
Salt ... to taste
Sugar or jaggery ....little to balance the taste
Mustard seeds .. 1 tsp
Cumin seeds ..... 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida ..... a pinch
Dry red chillies .. 2-3
Curry leaves ... 1 sprig
1. Boil toor dal and mash it.
2. In a pan add a little oil. Tip in the tempering ingredients.
3. When they crackle, add the garlic and tomatoes.
4. When they are soft add the mashed dal, rasam poader,turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt, jaggery. tamarind juice. Saute and add enough water and bring to a boil. Add coriander leaves.
5. Simmer until done.
To Serve Rasa Vadas:
Place the vadas in a deep plate and pour hot steaming rasam on them.
If you want the vadas really soft, soak them in the pot of rasam for a while and then serve.