Lotus stem slices .. 10 - 12 or as needed
Amchoor powder .. 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder .. 1/4 tsp
Cumin powder ..... 1/4 tsp
Chaat masala or garam masala .. 1/2 tsp
Besan / gram flour ... 1 & 1/2 cups ( or as needed )
Baking soda ... a pinch
Salt ...... to taste
Oil ...... to fry
1. Boil the lotus stem slices in a pressure cooker adding a little salt. Drain and set aside.
2. Mix all the dry spice powders and sprinkle on the slices.
3. Make a smooth and thick batter with besan, salt and baking soda.
4. Dip the slices in the batter and fry them until half done.
5. When you are ready to serve, press each pakora to make it little flat and fry again until crisp. ( double frying makes them nice and crisp )
Serve with any chutney or sauce.
Note: You can also stir-fry them with mint chutney instead of the dry masalas and make pakoras in the same way.