Holi, the festival of colours is round the corner. I don't like playing with colours but I celebrate with colourful food and snacks. Today's snack is colourful and healthy idlis using natural colours from spinach, beetroot and carrots and I steamed them in muffin cups.
We chose the Holi theme in our group "Shhhh Cooking Secretly Challenge", where we are paired with another blogger and we select 2 secret ingredients for each other. This month I am paired with Priya Satheesh who gave me carrots and beetroot. These days ready batter is easily available in the stores. You can also make it at home if you wish to.
To make Idli batter at home:Ingredients:
Raw rice ....... 2 cups
Parboiled rice ......... 1 cup
Urad dal ......... 1 cup
Cooked rice .... 2-3 tbsps
Salt ................. to taste
2. Grind them separately adding a little water and salt to taste.
3. Mix everything together and let the dough ferment preferably overnight or until it is risen well.
4. Divide the batter into three portions
5. Add boiled and grated beetroot to one portion.
6. Boil and grind the spinach. Add this puree to the second batter
7.Add grated carrots to the third portion. If you wish to get bright orange colour you can add a pinch of kesari colour.
8.Now grease the muffin moulds. Spoon one colour first and steam for 1 minute until it is slightly firm.
9.Follow the same step with the second coloured batter.
10. After you spoon the third coloured batter you need to steam for 5-6 minutes or until done.
See Coconut Chutney recipe - HERE
See Groundnut Chutney recipe .... HERE
See Sambar recipe ................. HERE
See Potato Masala recipe ....... HERE