This is a very delicious and spicy side dish made with baby potatoes and lot of ginger along with spice powders. You can serve it with rotis, puris, parathas or as a side dish with dal chawal and pulaos. If you don't have baby potatoes you may also use normal potato chunks.
Since this dish does not have any onion and garlic you can make it during Navtratras also and enjoy with buckwheat rotis or samak khichdi.
Baby potatoes ..... 25 - 30 or as needed.
Grated ginger ..... 2 tbsps
Cumin seeds....... 1 tsp
Mustard seeds ..... 1 tsp
Turmeric powder .. 1/4 tsp
Kashmiri chilli powder ... 1/2 or 1 tsp (as much as you like)
Coriander powder ...... 1 tsp
Cumin powder ........... 1 tsp
Garam masala .......... 1/2 tsp
Green chillies .......... 2 (slit)
Coriander leaves ...... handful
Oil ...................... for frying and cooking as needed
1. Wash the potatoes well and parboil them.
2. Let them cool. Peel them and set aside.
3. Heat oil and deep fry the potatoes until the outer layer if firm and light brown.
4. Remove and set aside.
5. In a pan heat 2-3 tbsps of oil.
6. Add the mustardand cumin seeds and let them crackle.
7. Now add the gingerand saute a bit.
8. Cover the pan and cook on low flame for half a minute so that the flavours from the giger are infused into the oil.
9. Now add the salt and all the spice powders except garam masala which will be added towards the end.
10. Saute a bit on low flame and add little water.
11. Tip in the fried potatoes and green chillies. Saute a bit and add 1/2 cup water.
12. Simmer for few minutes or until done. Halfway through open the lidand addthe garam masala powder.
13. If you want a gravy version then add 1 cup of water.
14. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Check out the video
Pin for later:
This recipe is made for the event - A-Z Recipe Challenge.
Season 1 - We hace completed the first season making the recipes alphabetically with ingredients with English names. ( eg. A - Apple, Artichoke, Asparagus ..)
Season 2 - We decided to make the recipes alphabetically with Hindi names. ( A - Anar, Adrak Aloo ... )
Recipe List of A-Z Challenge (Season 2)
A - Adraki Aloo (baby Potatoes with ginger and spice powders)
B - Begun Bhaja ( Bengali style fried Brinjals)
C - Chukandar Ke Parathe (Stuffed Beetroot Parathas)
D -Dahi Chawal (Farali) ( Barnyard Millet Curd Rice)
E - Elaichi Cup Cakes ( Cardamom Flavoured Cup Cakes )
F - False ke Biscuit ( lemon Currant Cookies )
G - Gud Wale Pohe ( Sweet flattened Rice Flakes with Jaggery)
H - Hare Dhaniye Ki Sabzi ( Fresh Coriander Stir fry)
I - Imli Gosht ( Tangy Mutton Curry )
J - Jowar ke Phulke (Sorghum Flour Flatbreads)
K - Karele ki Bhurji ( Diced Bitter Gourd Stir fry)
L - Lehsun Ka Achar ( Garlic Pickle)
M - Moong Dal with Sarson ka Saag ( Moong dal with Mustard Greens)
N - Neembu Gud ki Shikanji (Indian summer drink with herbs and spices)