Here is a recipe of delicious dhaba style urad dal with palak. ( Black lentils cooked with spinach ) This is rich in proteins and vitamins. This is a very innovative recipe with a twist, A unique ingredients is added to the tadka which takes this dish to a different level. Believe me you will love this preparation.
For Cooking Dal Oil - 3-4 tbsps Cumin seeds - 1 tsp Garlic cloves - 6-7 cloves A pinch of asafoetida Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder - 1/2 tsp Urad dal, soaked - 1 & 1/2 cups Spinach, chopped - 2 cups Water - 3 cups Salt to taste, For First Tempering Oil - 2 tbsps Ghee - 2 small ladles Cumin seeds - 1 tsp Dry red chilies - 2 A pinch of asafoetida Ginger Garlic - 1 tbsp each Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp Onions, chopped - 3 medium Kashmiri red chili powder - 1/2 tsp Coriander powder - 1 tsp Cumin powder - 1 tsp Tomatoes chopped - 2 medium Salt to taste Urad dal papad, roasted, crushed - 3 Spinach, chopped - 1 cup Salt to taste Boiled Dal Water - as needed (add hot water) Coriander leaves - handful Lemon juice - 1 or 2 tbsps ( or add amchur powder / dry mango powder ) For Second Tempering: Oil or ghee - 1 tbsp Kashmiri chilli powder - 1 tsp
1. Heat 3 tbsps of oil in a pressure cooker.
2. Add 1 tsp of cumin seeds and toss them a bit. (do not let them crackle)
3. Next add 6-7 cloves of garlic. (whole) and fry until golden brown.
4. Now add little turmeric, red chilli powder, salt and the soaked urad dal.
5. Saute it a bit and add 2 cups of spinach and 3 cups of water.
6. Close the pressure cooker and cook for 4-5 whistles.
7. Open after the pressure is released. Mash it coarsely.
8. Now for the tempering heat 3 tbsps of oil and 2 small ladles of ghee (clarified butter)
9. Add a tsp of cumin seeds. After they crackle add the ginger and garlic. Saute them.
10. Next add the whole red chillies and asafoetida followed by onions.
11. Saute them until golden brown and add the tomatoes.
12. Simmer until the tomatoes are soft and add the spice powders and salt.
13. Mix them well. Now crush the toasted papads and add them to the tadka.
14. Toss them well and add 1 cup of spinach. This will give a lovely colour to the dish.
15. Cook on low flame until the oil starts to separate.
16. Now stir in the cooked dal and mix everything.
17. Adjust the consistency and taste to your preference.( Use hot water )
18. Simmer on low flame for few minutes.
19. Finally add some coriander leaves and squeeze some lemon juice. You may also add amchoor powder instead of lemon juice.
20. To give a nice colour heat little oil (not very hot). Add little Kashmiri chilli powder and stir it into the prepared dal. This can also be done after dishing it out.
This recipe is for A-Z challenge - Season 2
Season 1 - We have completed the first season making the recipes alphabetically with ingredients with English names. ( eg. A - Apple, Artichoke, Asparagus ..)
Season 2 - We decided to make the recipes alphabetically with Hindi names. ( A - Anar, Adrak Aloo ... )
This month the Alphabet is U
Recipe List of A-Z Challenge (Season 2)
A - Adraki Aloo (Baby Potatoes with ginger and spice powders)
B - Begun Bhaja ( Bengali style fried Brinjals)
C - Chukandar Ke Parathe (Stuffed Beetroot Parathas)
D - Farali Dahi Chawal ( Barnyard Millet Curd Rice / Samak ke Dahi Chawal )
E - Elaichi Cup Cakes ( Cardamom flavoured cup cakes )
F - False ke Biscuits ( Lemon Currant Cookies )
G - Gud Wale Pohe (Sweet Flattened Rice Flakes with jaggery)
H - Hare Dhaniye ki Sabzi ( Fresh Coriander stir fry )
I - Imli Gosht ( Hyderabadi style tangy Mutton Curry)
J - Jowar ke Phulke (Sorghum Flour Flatbreads)
K - Karele ki Bhurji ( Diced Bitter Gourd Stir fry)
L - Lehsun Ka Achar ( Garlic Pickle)
M - Moong Dal with Sarson ka Saag ( Moong dal with Mustard Greens)
N - Neembu Gud ki Shikanji (Indian summer drink with herbs and spices)
Pin for later
You may also like: