Here is a very healthy detox soup recipe made with drumsticks or moringa.Drumsticks are loaded with nutrition. This soup is said to be as nutritious as mutton or paya yakhni. So it makes a good option for vegetarians. This is also a weight watchers delight.
Nutritional Facts of Drumstick or Moringa
Drumstick is highly valued for its theraputic properties and nutritional benefits. This versatile vegetable is loaded with Vitamins A,C,K, B complex, minerals, iron, calcium, magnesium to name a few. Regular addition of drumstick in the diet is known to control diabetes, high blood pressure. It also fortifies the bone and improves skin health. Right from the root, bark, leaves, pod, flowers, fruits and seeds of this plant are used in traditional medicine.
(Information source - Google)
Can we add some vegetables to this soup ?
Yes, you may add vegetables to it. But to keep it healthy choose some nutritious ones.
Can we add any thickeners ?
Yes, you may add some oatmeal or barley powder for thickening. For a healthy version avoid adding corn starch
Drumsticks ........... 200 gms (about 5-6)
Ginger .................. 1" piece (peeled and chopped)
Salt ...................... to taste
Crushed black pepper .... 2-3 pinches or as needed
Roasted cumin powder ....1/4 tsp or as needed
Lemon juice .................... 1/2 tbsps or as needed
(add all the ingredients as per your liking)
1. Scrape the drumsticks and cut them into small pieces.
2. Put them in a pressure cooker with 3 cups of water and cook for 3-4 whistles.
3. Open after the pressure is released. Let them cool.
4. Transfer them into a grinding jar and grind them adding the water from the pressure cooker.
5. Strain the soup well.
6. Pour the strained soup into a pan and place it on the gas.
7. Add salt and bring it to a boil.
8. Add the roasted cumin powder and freshly crushed black pepper. Add some lemon juice.
9. Boil it for a minute or two on low flame.
Yield - 2 servings
Check out the video
About the group:
Shhhhh Cooking Secretly is a monthly challenge in a facebook group where we are paired with a different partner every month. Two secret ingredients are chosen by each partner for the other one and we prepare any dish with those ingredients based on the selected theme of the month which was MONSOON TREATS suggested by me.
My partner of the month was Jayashree Trao. She chose GINGER and PEPPER as my two secret ingredients and I made this healthy Moringa soup.
I gave her GHEE and ASAFOETIDA as her secret ingredients. She made delicious and healthy LEMON RASAM