Shikanji is the most popular Indian summer drink. It can be made with sugar or jaggery. This is really a cool and refreshing drink and also good for digestion.
Ingredients: Jaggery ---- 3/4 cup (I used organic jaggery powder) Water ------- 3/4 cup Lemons ----- 3 Ginger ----- 2" piece (grated) Mint leaves ---- handful Roasted cumin powder ---- 1/2 tsp Chaat masala powder ----- 1/2 tsp Crushed black pepper ---- 1/4 tsp Salt --------------------------- as needed.
1. Boil the jaggery and water for 30 - 40 seconds.
2. Add all the ingredients except lemon juice.
3. Boil them a bit until the flavours are incorporated into the syrup.
4. Add the lemon juice and give one or two boils.
5. Switch off the flame and let it cool.
6. Strain the mixture and fill it in bottle. This concentrate can be stored in the refrigerator for few days.
7. Add 5-6 tbsps of this syrup in a medium size glass. Top it up wiith chilled water or soda.
8. Garnish with mint and lemon wedges and serve.
Watch the Video:
Pin for later
Yield: 4 servings.
This recipe is made for the event - A-Z Recipe Challenge.
Season 1 - We have completed the first season making the recipes alphabetically with ingredients with English names. ( eg. A - Apple, Artichoke, Asparagus ..)
Season 2 - We decided to make the recipes alphabetically with Hindi names. ( A - Anar, Adrak Aloo ... )
This month the Alphabet is N -
Recipe List of A-Z Challenge (Season 2)
A - Adraki Aloo (Baby Potatoes with ginger and spice powders)
B - Begun Bhaja ( Bengali style fried Brinjals)
C - Chukandar Ke Parathe (Stuffed Beetroot Parathas)
D - Farali Dahi Chawal ( Barnyard Millet Curd Rice / Samak ke Dahi Chawal )
E - Elaichi Cup Cakes ( Cardamom flavoured cup cakes )
F - False ke Biscuits ( Lemon Currant Cookies )
G - Gud Wale Pohe (Sweet Flattened Rice Flakes with jaggery)
H - Hare Dhaniye ki Sabzi ( Fresh Coriander stir fry )
I - Imli Gosht ( Hyderabadi style tangy Mutton Curry)
J - Jowar ke Phulke (Sorghum Flour Flatbreads)
K - Karele ki Bhurji ( Diced Bitter Gourd Stir fry)
L - Lehsun Ka Achar ( Garlic Pickle)
M - Moong Dal with Sarson ka Saag ( Moong dal with Mustard Greens)
N - Neembu Gud ki Shikanji (Indian summer drink with herbs and spices)
You may also like: