Chickpeas or chana cooked with spinach is a very good combo and a healthy protein rich dish.
Palak/spinach ... 1 pkt frozen (400 gms) - you may use fresh boiled palak(1 bunch)
Chana ...... 1 can (200 gms) or 1/2 cup chana - soak and boil them.
Green chillies ... 1-2 chopped finely
Lime juice ... 1 tbsp.
Onion .... 1 small
Garlic ..... 1 tbsp. crushed
Turmeric powder .. 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder .. 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder ....... 1/2 tsp
Salt ...... to taste
*Milk ............. 1/4 cup ( with half spoon flour mixed in it )
* I use this as a substitute to the cream. You may use cream instead or skip it.
Oil ....... 2-3 tbsps
1. Heat little oil in a pan and add the palak. Saute a little and add chana.
2. Add 1 cup water and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes. The chana from the can usually is under-cooked. If it is soft then you add it later.
3. Add green chillies and salt.
4. For tempering, heat a little oil/ghee in a pan. Saute the crushed garlic.
5. Add the finely chopped onion and fry till it is translucent. Now tip in the spice powders and a little salt.
6. Finally add the milk with flour and stir well and close the gas immediately.( If you are adding cream, add at this stage )
7. Mix this in the chana palak and simmer it for a minute. Finally add the lime juice.
This can be served with rotis, naans, bhaturas.