Here is a recipe which can be made out of the crumbs and cuttings when you are icing any cake. Rum balls can also be made with crushed biscuits and cookies.They really taste so good with all the things added like rum, cinnamon, lemon rind, candied fruit, raisins and walnuts. You can skip the rum if you don't like and add rum essence instead. We have many different variations of Rum Balls. I prefer the ones coated in melted chocolate. You can also mix all the ingredients with the melted chocolate and then make the balls which can be coated with dessicated coconut or colourful chocolate sprinkles.
RUM BALLS 1
Cake crumbs ..... 2 cups
Lemon rind ........ 1 tsp
Cinnamon powder .. 1/2 tsp ( you can also replace it with a pinch of nutmeg or all spice)
Walnuts ... handful (crushed)
Raisins .... 2-3 tbsps
Candied fruit .. 2-3 tbsps
Rum .............. few tbsps ( can also use brandy)
(If using rum essence, dilute a few drops in milk and add)
Cooking chocolate for coating.... 300 gms
1. Mix all the ingredients together (except the cooking chocolate).
2. Mix enough rum to the mix so that it is moistened enough to make balls out of it. If you want to add less rum then use a little milk. If you completely want to skip alcohol then use rum essence diluted with milk. Rum can also be replaced with brandy.
3. Make small round balls and set aside.
4. Using a double boiler method, melt the chocolate until smooth. You can do it in the microwave also. But you have to judge the time correctly depending on the quantity of the chocolate. I prefer double boiler method.. you can never go wrong.
5. Keep stirring the melted chocolate with a spatula to remove air bubbles and the consistency is smooth.
6. Dip the cake balls in the chocolate, drain out the excess and place them on a butter paper. Decorate them with sprinkles or edible silver pearls.
7. Refrigerate them until firm.
RUM BALLS 2
All the ingredients are same as above. I have added a tbsp of dessicated coconut in the mix.
1. Melt 100 gms chocolate in the same way as mentioned above. Let it cool a bit and mix all the ingredients with it.
2. Refrigerate until it hardens a little.
3. Make balls and coat them with dessicated coconut or colourful sprinkles.
Pin for later
You may also like:
Cake Pops / Kids Party Special