Any South Indian meal is incomplete without Rasam. We have an amazing variety of rasams with different flavours. It is good for digestion too.
Boiled tur dal: 1/2 cup (makes from 1/4 cup lentils)
Tamarind paste : 2 tbsp
Black pepper: 1 tsp
Rasam powder: 4 tsp (See recipe in spice powders)
Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder: 1/2 tsp
Tomatoes : 2 finely chopped
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Dry red chillies - 2
Curry Leaves - 5-6
Asafoetida - a pinch
Garlic - 3 pods (optional)
1. Mash the boiled tur dal into a fine paste and add 3-4 cups of water.
2. Keep to boil in a pan. Add turmeric, red chilly powder, black pepper, salt to taste, coriander leaves and tamarind paste.
3. Allow to boil for 5 minutes. (This is supposed to be a watery dish and is considered a good digestive)
4. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, add cumin & mustard seeds. When they splutter, add curry leaves, dry red chillies and hing. Also add crushed garlic.
5. When garlic turns brown, finally, add the Rasam powder, stir promptly and shift the tempering onto the rasam immediately.
Alternately, you may add the garlic into the rasam while boiling itself.