A simple chicken preparation with dried fenugreek leaves / kasuri methi which gives a wonderful aroma to this dish. For tanginess I have added sour yogurt and finally a little bit of thick coconut milk for the creamy texture. I personally prefer coconut milk to cream but if you wish to add it you may do so.
Chicken .... 500 gms
Onion ..... 1 cup (sliced finely)
Yogurt ..... 1/2 cup
Kasoori methi .. 2 tbsps
Coriander leaves .. 1/2 cup
Mint leaves ....... handful
Green chillies .... 2-3
Thick coconut milk ... 2-3 tbsps
Garlic paste ...... 1 tbsp
Ginger paste ...... 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder ... 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder ... 1 tsp
Cumin powder ........ 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder .. 1/2 tsp
Salt ....... to taste
Oil ........ 3-4 tbsps
1. Clean the chicken and marinate with yogurt, salt and a little turmeric powder.
2. In a pan heat oil and fry the onion until translucent.
3. Add the ginger and garlic paste and saute for a minute.
4. Now tip in the marinated chicken pieces and stir fry for 4-5 minutes until the water dries up and the oil starts to separate.
5. At this stage tip in the coriander leaves, mint leaves, slit green chillies and kasuri methi along with the spice powders mentioned in the list.
6. Mix well and simmer adding a little water for the chicken to cook. Check the salt and add if needed.
7. Cover the pan and cook until almost done.
8. Finally stir in the thick coconut milk and cook for 1 minute.
Note: Add as much water as the consistency you require .. Dry version goes well with rotis and naans.
Pin for later
You may also like:
Amritsari Methi Malai Murgh