This is a traditional Andhra style tangy chicken cooked with gongura / sorrel leaves. Gongura leaves have a sour taste and they are added to flavour various curries, both veg and non veg. These leaves are a rich source of iron, folic acids and are very nutritious.
Chicken .... 500 gms
Onion ...... 1 cup (sliced)
Gongura ... 2 cups
Green chillies .. 2-3 (add more if you like it spicy)
Tomato puree ... 1 tbsp
Ginger paste ... 1 tsp
Garlic paste .... 2 tsps
Corinader leaves .. handful
Coriander powder .. 1 tsp
Cumin powder ..... 1 tsp
Turmeric powder ... 1/4 tsp
Garam masala powder .. 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder ... optional
Salt ........... to taste
Oil .... 4 tbsps
1. Heat oil in a pan and fry the onions until translucent.
2. Add the green chillies, ginger and garlic paste.
3. Tip in the tomato paste, chicken pieces and stir fry for about 5 minutes.
4. Now add the salt and spice powders except garam masala which will be added towards the end.
5. Add enough water to cook the chicken according to the consistency required.
6. When the chicken is three-fourths done add the sorrel leaves and mix. Sprinkle the garam masala powder and add the coriander leaves. Cover and again simmer it until done.
I have never tried sorrel leaves before , it would be interesting to know if it tastes like spinach???ReplyDelete
It tastes tangy Nayna .. these leaves have a sour taste.Delete
yummy chicken recipeReplyDelete
I too have never tasted Sorrel leaves. I just googled to see what they look like and now realise that we used to get them In Kenya and they have an usual tangy taste. I must look out for them.ReplyDelete
Mina you might get them in Indian storesDelete