Karela / Bitter Gourd is one vegetable that is not liked by many people because of its bitterness. But thankfully everyone in our family loves them and I am always trying out many variations. Today's recipe is nice and tangy as I have added grated raw mango to the filling along with some boiled chana dal and potato. It turned out really good. The karelas we get here in Brazil are very thick and fleshy. So I had to boil them first. In India the karelas are small and also not so thick. You can just scrape them cook directly on low flame after stuffing them.
Karelas .. 2 big or 4 small
Chana dal ..... 1/2 cup (boiled with salt)
Potato ......... 1 small (boiled and cut into small pieces)
Raw mango ... 3-4 tbsps (grated)
Coriander leaves .. handful
Onion .... 1 small (chopped finely)
Red chilli powder .. 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder .. 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder .. 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala powder .. 1/4 tsp
Salt .. to taste
Oil .......... 3-4 tbsps
1. Peel the karelas, slit them and remove the seeds.
2. Par boil them in salt water.
3. Boil chana dal and potato. Cut one small onion and coriander leaves finely and grate the mango.
4. Mix the filling ingredients and add the salt, spice powders.
5. Now pat the karelas dry with a kitchen towel carefully. Fill this mixture in the karelas.
6. Tie them with a string.
7. Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the karelas turning the sides to fry them evenly.
8. Do it on low flame to get a perfect texture.
9. Untie the threads before serving them. If they are big you can cut them into two.
Pin for later
You may also like:
Awesome. ...healthy bhi...tasty bhiReplyDelete
Lol.. true Moumita.. thanksDelete
Tasty, tangy & healthy karelas... Thanks for the recipe Shobha ☺ReplyDelete
Most welcome dear..Thanks for likingDelete
a different variety,nice...ReplyDelete
What a lovely way of stuffing karelas. I always make it stuffed with besan and masala but I like the idea of stuffing it with dall and potatoReplyDelete
Try them Mina.. they were yummyDelete
What an innovative stuffing , I have never tried karela cooked in this way. I must try this.ReplyDelete
Thanks for liking Nayna,, must try them sometimeDelete