This is a traditional Indian sweet made with powdered almonds and sugar, flavoured with cardamom powder and saffron or rose water. Katli can also be made with almond paste after blanching and removing the skins. I have chosen the simpler option of almond powder as it is easily available in Brazil. This is the most preferred sweet during festivals as it has just few ingredients and not too difficult to make. Similarly you can make with cashewnuts too, which is kaju katli.
Almond powder ..... 2 cups
Sugar .................... 1 cup
Water ................... 1 cup
Cardamom powder .. 1/4 tsp
Rose water ............ 1 tbsp
Ghee . clarified butter ... 1+1 tsps.
Milk ....................... 1 tbsp
Silver warq ... to garnish
1. In a pan take the sugar and add one cup water.
2. Bring to a boil. When it starts boiling well add one tbsp of milk to remove the impurities of sugar. You will see the dirt / froth collecting on top. Just remove it with a spoon.
3. When it comes to 2 string consistency and reduced to half, add the cardamom powder, almond powder and the rose water.
4. Keep stirring to avoid lumps.
5. Continue to stir until the mixture becomes thick and starts to leave the sides. You can spoon in a little ghee at this level.
7.Remove it in flat vessel or a plate. Now you will find the consistency is thicker and you can knead it to give a smooth texture.
8. Take a sheet of butter paper and grease it with ghee.
9. Place the lump on the paper and roll with a greased rolling pin to the desired thickness.
10. Garnish with silver warq sheets. Cut it into diamond shaped pieces using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife.