I had seen this recipe in the Master Chef India - season 4 (extra class session) by none other but Chef Sanjeev Kapoor. I had been wanting to try it out since a long time. Served hot or cold this tea is supposed to have lot of health benefits, specially in keeping the high BP under control. Therefore it is not recommended for those having a low BP. Research also shows that this tea can keep the obesity and diabetes under control.
Various countries have their own traditional recipes of making this beverage. Only the petals of this flower are used along with other ingredients like cinnamon, lemon grass, honey, lemons or oranges, ginger, cardamoms etc etc.. to add to the flavour. You can try out endless variations.
Hibiscus flowers ... 4-5
Lemon grass..... small piece
Cinnamon .......... 1 small piece
Ginger ............... 1 tsp
Lemon juice ..... 1 tbsp
Honey or sugar .. as needed
1. Wash the flowers well and separate only the petals for using. Discard the other parts.
2. Boil about half a litre of water and tip in the ingredients.
3. Add the lemon juice to get a lovely red colour. This was an important tip given by the chef.
4. Add the sugar or honey according to your liking.
5. Strain and serve it hot or chilled.
Important Note : This tea is not recommended for people with low BP