Try out this healthy and hearty chicken barley soup. I have made it thin and light just with chicken but you may also add some vegetables to it and make the consistency thicker if you like. Carrots, celery, fennel, leek and mushrooms taste good in this soup.
Chicken ...... 150 gms (boneless strips)
Pearl barley ......1/4 cup
Garlic ............. 2 cloves (crushed)
Red onion ...... few slices
Parsley or coriander .. handful
Cinnamon ...... 1 small piece
Bay leaf ........ 1
Black or white pepper ... for tempering
Salt ...... to taste
Olive oil ....... 1 tbsp
1. Soak the pearl barley for couple of hours. Pressure cook it with 2 cups of water and a little salt until half done.
2. Remove the barley along with water into a bowl.
3. In the pressure cooker pour the oil and saute the crushed garlic.
4. Add onion and stir fry for a minute until translucent.
5. Tip in the chicken strips and saute until the colour changes.
6. Add the half done barley along with the water.
7. Add the cinnamon and bay leaf. Add a little salt.
8. Add 2 - 3 cups water as per your liking of the consistency.and close the cooker.
9. Cook for 2-3 whistles until done.
10. Open the cooker after it cools down.
11. Discard the cinnamon and bay leaf.
12. Season with black pepper and coriander or parsley leaves.