In Indian homes sweets are made on every special occasion.Today I am posting my 1000 th recipe and it definitely calls for a celebration. Here is a halwa with a difference... Matar ka halwa.
I had been seeing this recipe on the net since a long time and always wondered how would a halwa made from a vegetable taste like. Well I made it and it was absolutely delicious like any other halwas we make. It can also be made into a fudge / barfi by cooking it a little more to get a thicker consistency. In this recipe I have used mawa barfi which makes the job easier. If you are using plain khoya it has to be sauteed in ghee before adding. Also increase the quantity of sugar accordingly.
Green peas .... 2 cups. (after grinding makes 1 cup)
Sweet mawa ... 1/2 cup
Sugar ............. 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder .. 1/2 tsp
Desi ghee .............. 1/4 cup
Pistachios and almonds ... 1 tbsp each (sliced for garnishing)
Silver warq .. for garnishing.
A piece of dry fruit brittle ... for garnishing.
2. In a pan take desi ghee; and saute the green peas on medium flame until the colour changes and the raw flavour is gone. This may take about 10 - 12 minutes.
3. Add the cardamom powder and sugar. Keep stirring. The sugar leaves water and saute until it is thicker.
4. Now crumble the mawa barfi and mix it. If you are using khoya you have to separately saute it with a little ghee until it gives an aroma. Then you mix it into the halwa and cook further.
7. Now if you want to make a barfi with this mixture, cook it for few more minutes stirring to get a thicker consistency.
8. Spread it on a greased tray. Sprinkle sliced nuts and garnish with silver warq.You can even add some nuts to it while cooking if you wish.
Pin for later
You may also like:
Apple Aur Kiwi Ka Halwa