Pumpkin .... 1 cup (cut into cubes )
Turmeric powder .. 1/4 tsp
Jaggery ... 1 tsp
Tamarind .. lemon sized ( soaked in water)
Salt ... to taste
For the masala:
Grated coconut .. 2-3 tbsps
Chana dal ..... 1 tsp
Urad dal ...... 1 tsp
Sesame seeds .. 1 tbsp
Methi seeds ... 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds ... 1/2 tsp
Dry red chillies .. 2-3 ( as per your taste)
Mustard seeds .. 1 tsp
Dry red chillies .. 1-2
Curry leaves .. 1 sprig
Asafoetida ... a pinch
1. Cut the pumpkin into cubes.
2. Heat a little oil in a pan, saute the pumpkin and add a little salt, turmeric powder and a little water to cook.
3. Also add the tamarind extract and jaggery. Simmer until three-fourths done.
4. Meanwhile take a tsp of oil in a pan and roast the gram dal and urad dal to a golden colour. Now add the sesame seeds, methi seeds, cumin seeds and the dry red chillies and roast further. Tip in the grated coconut and continue to saute for half a minute. Let it cool.
5. Now grind this in a mixie adding a little water to make a thick paste.
6. Mix the ground paste to the cooked pumpkin and simmer to cook further until the gravy gets cooked.
7. Check the salt and add if needed.
8. Finally add the tempering of mustard seeds, dry red chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida.