This is always my favourite rice dishes that I end up making whenever I have some left over rice. So simple to make and delicious too. People carry this for journeys as it stays longer because of the tamarind and can be relished cold too. You really don't need any accompaniment with this as it is tasty on its own.
Left over rice ... 1 cup
Turmeric powder .. 1/4 tsp
Tamarind extract .. 2-3 tbsps ( as per your liking)
Salt .. to taste
Sugar / jaggery .. little to balance the sourness.
Oil ... 2 tbsps
For the masala:Chana dal .. 1 tbsp
Urad dal ..... 1 tbsp
Sesame seeds .. 1 tsp
Dry red chillies .. 1-2 (as per your taste)
( Dry roast and grind the masala )
Mustard seeds .. 1 tsp
Asafoetida .. a pinch
Groundnuts ... 1 tbsp
Curry leaves .. 1 sprig
1. Heat oil in a pan and add the tempering ingredients.
2. When they crackle, add the tamarind extract and the ground masala powder.
3. Add the tamarind extract, salt, sugar or jaggery, turmeric powder and stir well.
4. Simmer for a minute or two until the masala is incorporated into the rice. Sprinkle a little water if you like a softer consistency.
5. Serve hot or cold with fried papads.