This is a very healthy and nutritious snack. I have baked it in the oven but you can even make it in a thick bottomed pan like a Pan Pizza and cut it into pieces.
These days ready to make Handvo Mix is available at the Indian grocery stores.
Rice ............. 1 cup
Chana dal ..... 1/4 cup
Toor dal ........ 1/4 cup
Urad dal ....... 1/4 cup
Ginger ........... 1 tbsp (grated)
Garlic ........... 1 tsp. (crushed)
Green Chillies .. 3-4 (crushed)
Cabbage .......... 1 cup (grated)
Normally we use bottle gourd but I like to use different vegetables for a change. Sometimes I use grated carrots or mixed grated veggies.
Ajwain/carom seeds... 1 tsp
Sugar ..................... 1 tbsp.
Salt ....................... to taste
Turmeric powder .... 1/4 tsp.
Eno fruit salt ........... 1 tsp.
Yogurt .................... 1 cup
Sesame/ til seeds .... 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds ........ 1 tbsp.
Hing................ 2 pinches
Red chilli powder ..... 1/4 tsp
Oil .................. 3-4 tbsp.
Dessicated coconut .... 1 tbsp (to garnish)
Coriander leaves ........( to garnish)
1. Wash and soak all the dals for at least 6-7 hours or overnight.
2. Grind them coarsely using the yogurt and leave the batter to ferment for 2-3 hours.( The consistency should be like idli batter)
(you may use it immediately adding a little more quantity of eno)
3. Mix in the crushed chillies, garlic, ginger, turmeric powder, salt, sugar, ajwain seeds, 1 tbsp.oil and cabbage/ doodhi/any grated vegetable.
4. Just before you are ready for baking, add the eno and mix well.
5. Grease a dish or tray for baking and pour the batter into it little below the brim.
6. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes. Alternately you can also do it in a deep, thick bottomed griddle (with cover)on a low flame. This may take less time.
7. Remove from the oven and let it cool. Meanwhile heat one tablespoon oil and add the asafoetida, mustard seeds and slightly crushed sesame seeds. When the seeds splutter, switch off the gas and add the red chilli powder.( this gives a nice colour). Spread the tempering with a spoon on the prepared handvo.
8. Cut into pieces and garnish with dessicated coconut and coriander leaves. Serve with mint chutney.
Nice click and well explainedReplyDelete
Shanthi: Thank you :)Delete
I have tasted handvo so can say this must be really tasty, yet to try this.ReplyDelete
Following ur space.
I'm sure u'll love it ..this is my favourie snack too..u can add any vegetable of your choice and it is so healthy...not much oil.
I really love indian food. Very colorful, tasteful and lots of seasoning and condiments.ReplyDelete
Bem Vindo Guilherme.Delete
Que bom ...voce gosto comida Indiana....acho que voce vai visitar sempre e tentar fazer algums pratos Indianos..
Sorry, but the computer was last spoils me, I question whether I have from you on your blog copy this cup, please write to me because I do not know what to do,
I wish you success in life!
welcome, greet, Wanda
Thanks for your wishes.
Just right click on the image of the cup and save it on your computer.You can display it on your blog like other pictures
Thanks for the award :P it is really appreciated...
you come up with healthy and nutritious recipe post after post...Thanks for sharing :P
your other blog is also wonderful, ur effort in maintaining it is great!
could you pls tell me how to take part in the wordless wednesday posts!! Thanks again
Thanks for a sweet compliment and appreciationDelete
I really love it when I see baked foods.. So healthy !ReplyDelete
Love the tadka..
Ne too :)Delete
Very testy and healthy baked item. It is new for me.ReplyDelete
Must try them Chandrani.Delete
Lovely detailed recipe ...looks wonderful and delicious!ReplyDelete
Thank u SushmaDelete
thanks for sending this across. This is really interesting. I thought Handvo is usually steam cooked. I like the baked version too!!ReplyDelete
My friend makes it in a pan on stove top too.. any which way it is very healthyDelete
Very interesting and healthy recipe, looks yumm! Thank you for linking with Any One Can Cook :)ReplyDelete
Looks so yummy,,,never tried in my kitchen,,it seem very interesting recipe,,book marked..will try soonReplyDelete
Waiting for your feed back on thisDelete
Never tried this. Very interesting combo Shobhaji. Surely try it. Bookmarked!ReplyDelete
Must try this healthy snack SanoliDelete
Thanks a lot for sending this lovely and healthy dish to my event.
Pleasure is mine ..Delete