Here is a healthy breakfast menu for Independence day.. Make tri-coloured dosas by adding carrot and spinach for the saffron and green colour.
Urad dal .... 1 cup
Rice ........... 3 cups
Methi seeds .... 1 tsp.
Baking soda ... a pinch
Salt ... to taste
Oil.....as needed to fry dosas
Spinach ............ 2 cups
Carrots grated ... 1 cup
1. Soak dal and rice separately for at least 5-6 hours.Add methi seeds while soaking.
2. Grind them separately adding enough water to a smooth batter.
3.Mix them well, adding salt and leave to ferment preferably over night.
4. Chop the spinach and boil adding a little salt and water.
5. Allow it to cool and blend it to a smooth and thick paste.
6. In a pan saute the grated carrots lightly with 1 tsp of oil and little salt. Grind it to a smooth paste.
7. Now take a little portion of the fermented batter as needed in two bowls.
8. Add blended spinach puree in one bowl and carrot paste in the other.
9. Use plain batter for making white dosas.
10. Pour a ladleful of batter on the tawa and spread it with the back of the ladle.
11. Spoon a little ghee to make dosa. Repeat with the other coloured batter.
12. Serve with chutney / sambar.
See Coconut Chutney recipe - HERE
See Groundnut Chutney recipe .... HERE
See Sambar recipe ................. HERE
See Potato Masala recipe ....... HERE