Barley is an amazingly versatile and nutritious grain. I remember grandma and mom used to make barley porridge when ever anyone was sick. Adding some to your pot will improve your health along with the flavour of whatever soup / stew you are making. Here is a hearty vegetable and barley soup for you.
Barley ... 1/2 cup (soaked)
Onion .... 1 small (chopped)
Carrot ... 1/4 cup (diced)
Capsicum .. 1/4 cup (diced)
Baby corn ... 2-3 (cut into small pieces)
Celery ........ 1 stick (diced)
Tomato ..... 1 (blanched and peeled)
Seasoning .. 1 cube (I used Maggi)
Salt ........... to taste
Black pepper .. freshly crushed.
Soy sauce ... 1 tbsp (optional)
Coriander leaves ... for garnishing.
Olive oil.... 1 tbsp
1. Soak the pearl barley for few hours. Boil it or pressure cook it with a little salt until the grains are tender.
2. In a pan pour olive oil and saute the onion for a minute.
3. Add all the diced vegetables and boiled barley.
4. Add about 3-4 cups of vegetable stock or water and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce the flame and simmer the soup.
6. Now cut the blanched tomato after removing the seeds and add to the soup.
7. Crumble the seasoning cube and stir it into the soup.
8. Add the salt and soy sauce which is optional. Be careful adding the salt as the seasoning cube and soy sauce both contain salt.
9. When the vegetables are done season with freshly ground black pepper and add the coriander leaves.
delicious and refreshing soup.ReplyDelete
healthy soup.. perfect for diet planReplyDelete
True Veena and barley gives lot of energyDelete
I am a soup person. This barley soup sounds really healthy and delicious.ReplyDelete
Thanks Angie.. I love soups too specially in winterDelete
love soup with barley in it. My sister in law always add barley to most of the soups she makes.ReplyDelete
This is the best substitute to thicken your soups.Delete
Barley is so good for you and what can beat a vegetable soup!ReplyDelete
Yes Heidi.. very true.Delete
Very healthy recipe Shobha:) will definitely try this soon.ReplyDelete
Really delicious looking and healthy soup!ReplyDelete
Thanks for sharing! :)
That looks super delicious and super healthy. I absolutely adore soups. I make soup at least once per week in the colder months. I'll be adding this one to my list. Thanks!ReplyDelete
Thanks for liking this soup.. you will enjoy it I am sure of that.Delete
It reminds me of a soup my Nan used to make... perfect meal for any day of the year :-)ReplyDelete
True Agata.. soup can be a nice and light meal.Delete