A creamy mushroom soup made with button mushrooms that we find easily in all the grocery stores these days. If you wish you can add some exotic varieties like oyster mushrooms or shitake if you have them. As the mushrooms tend to spoil easily you can even slice and saute them in oil or butter and freeze them to use later. I have not used any thickener in this recipe but increased the quantity of mushrooms.
Button mushrooms ... 400 gms
Red onion or shallots .. 1/2 cup (diced)
Olive oil or butter ....... 2 tbsps
Black pepper .............. 1-2 pinches
Nutmeg powder ....... 1 pinch
Rosemary or any herb .. 1 tsp
Fresh cream ................ 100 ml
Low fat milk .............. 1 cup
Vegetable stock ......... 2 cups (or water)
Salt ........................... to taste
1. Wash the mushrooms well and slice them.
2. Heat oil in a pan and saute the mushrooms for few minutes. Remove them from the pan.
3. In the same pan saute the onions until translucent.
4. Add the fried mushrooms back into the pan setting aside some for garnishing.
5. Add the vegetable stock or water and simmer to cook for 10 -12 minutes.
6. Using a hand blender blend the soup.
7. Add milk and also add the salt, crushed pepper, nutmeg powder and rosemary or any herb you like.
8. Adjust the thickness as per your preference. Add stock or more milk accordingly.
9. Finally stir in the fresh cream and just give one boil.
10. Garnish with fried mushrooms, nutmeg powder or black pepper and rosemary leaves.
You can't beat the classics.ReplyDelete
I usually thicken mine with a roux, though - this sounds so much better!
Yes Anne, I wanted to avoid adding flour and butter .. Olive oil is a better and healthier option.Delete
This soup looks delicious. I love that button mushroom garnish on top.ReplyDelete
healthy and tasty soupReplyDelete
Thank you Amrita :)Delete
I stopped using cream of mushroom soups because I don't use any canned food. So glad I found your recipe, this looks like the perfect cream of mushroom soup. Pinning for future reference.ReplyDelete
I am glad you liked it :)Delete
This looks amazing!! I can't wait for the weather to cool down so I can try this :)ReplyDelete
Thanks dear.. and we are in winter here .. so I am enjoying my soups :)Delete