We usually eat radish only and the leaves are thrown away. Hence radish greens are not sold separately in the market. During winter we find tender radishes with bunches of fresh leaves. The saag made with these leaves tastes awesome. Radish greens add nutrition to your diet and also are a rich source of calcium. Apart from cooking you can also add a few leaves to your smoothies and salads. Wash the leaves thoroughly before using them.
Radish leaves ....5-6 cups
Spinach ............ 1 cup
Green chillies .. 1 or 2
Ginger .......... 1 tsp grated
Garlic .......... 1 tsp crushed
Onion ....... 1 small (1/4 cup sliced)
Turmeric powder .. 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder .. 1 tsp
Cumin powder ...... 1/2 tsp
Salt ........... to taste
Oil .... 2-3 tbsps
For Tadka / Tempering:
Garlic .... few cloves finely chopped
Kashmiri chilli powder ..... 2 - 3 pinches
Desi ghee / clarified butter - 1 tbsp
1. Wash the radish leaves and spinach thoroughly and chop them.
2. In a pan heat oil and add the sliced onion. Saute until translucent. Tip in the ginger garlic and green chillies.
3. Now add the mentioned spice powders and salt.
4. Add the greens into the pan, mix everything and cover with a lid.
5. The greens leave out water and there is no need to add any more. Just simmer to cook until the water dries up. It takes about 30 - 35 mins.
6. Let it cool. Lighly grind the saag with a hand grinder.
7. Now heat the ghee in a small pan and add the finely chopped garlic. When it becomes golden brown switch off the gas and add the Kashmiri chilli powder. Immediately pour this over the cooked saag and mix.