Chicken 65 is a popular dish of South India. Itwas created by Chennai's famous chef A M Buhari at his Buhari Hotel There are many stories as to how this chicken preparation got its name.
This is a great party dish. Make and enjoy it with your family and friends.
What is Chicken 65 ?
Chicken 65 is a spicy chicken preparation from South India. It is a fried chicken which is well marinated in a bright red sauce made with yogurt and chilli powder and spices. It is usually served with onions and lemons wedges. This Indian chicken dish is traditionally eaten hot, as a starter, aperitif or snack.
How did the dish get its name ?
Some say that the chicken was cut into 65 pieces and hence it was called by this name. While some believe that 65 ingredients were used to prepare this dish and that's how it was named. But the Buhari Hotel version says they called it Chicken 65 because it was first created in the year 1965 which sounds acceptable.
Do you need to serve any sauce with Chicken 65 ?
No, you do not need any sauceto serve with this snack as it is well marinated with many spices and is very delicious by itself.
Information Source - Google
Chicken ..... 250 gms (with bones cut into small pieces)
Egg ............. 1
APF / maida ........ 1 tbsp
Corn flour (corn starch) ... 1 tbsp
Yogurt ....................... 1or 2 tbsps
Ginger garlic paste....... 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder ......... 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala ............ 1/2 tsp
Red food colour ......... 1 pinch
Red chilli powder ....... 1/2 tsp (add more if you like)
Kashmiri chilli powder ... 1/2 tsp
Salt ..................... to taste
Curry leaves ......... handful
Slit green chillies ... 5-6
Ginger julienes ...... from 1 inch piece
Lemon juice .......... 1 tbsp
Oil ... as needed to fry
1. In a large bowl marinate the chicken with the ingredients from the first list. Cover and set them aside in the refrigerator for few hours or overnight.
2. In a pan heat sufficient oil and deep fry the chicken pieces on medium flame turning them intermittently so that they get fried evenly and get cooked well.
3. It takes about 8-10 minutes depending on the size of the pieces. Boneless chicken takes less time.
4. Remove them on an absorbant paper towel.
5. Heat a tbsp of oil in a pan and lightly saute the ginger, curry leaves and green chillies.
6. Tip in the fried chicken pieces and toss them well.
7. Squeeze some lemon juice on them.
8. Serve them immediately with some onion slices and lemon wedges in a platter.
I've sometimes seen Chicken 65 at Indian restaurants and didn't really know what it is. NOw I see the ingredients, I definitely want to try it soon.ReplyDelete
Yes Mireille, this one is a very popular snack in the restaurants. Do try it.Delete
This chicken 65 dish sounds really flavoursome and very tasty. I am sure it would be delicious served as an appetiser with lots of lime juice.ReplyDelete
Thanks Nayna. It really is very delicious.Delete