Here is another handy condiment / mix that we can make and store for use when we are short of time. I used to make it and carry to Brazil when I was living there. Saves a lot of time and makes your cooking easy specially when you are entertaining.
Cashew nuts ..... 1/2 cup
Dessicated coconut ... 1 cup
Poppy seeds / khuskhus .. 2 tbsps
Sesame seeds ................. 3 tbsps
Green cardamoms .......... 8
Cinnamon stick .............. 1-2 pieces.
Bay leaves ................... 2-3
Cloves ........................ 6
Dry green chillies ...... 6 (the ones that are marinated with salt, yogurt and sundried.)
Coriander seeds ......... 1/4 cup
Fennel seeds / saunf .... 2 tbsps
Cumin seeds ............... 1 tbsp
1. Dry roast the Cashew nuts first along with the whole spices.
2. Now tip in the remaining ingredients. Roast carefully without making them dark in colour.
3. Allow them to cool. Grind and store in an air tight container.
4. You can add dry garlic and ginger powder too if you have. If not add freshly ground paste while cooking.
How to make Kurma using this mix:
1. Cut any vegetables of your choice into small pieces. (1 cup)
2. In a pan heat 2 tbsps of oil and add the ginger garlic paste and the vegetables.
3. Saute and add 3 cups of water. Add salt and turmeric powder along with 3 tbsps of the home made kurma mix. (the gravy can be adjusted to your liking and add water accordingly)
4. Stir well and simmer until the vegetables are almost done. Now add 1/2 cup thick coconut milk and simmer for a minute.
You can serve this with puris, rotis, dosas, appams, pulaos or even plain rice
Thanks Remya :)Delete
delicious looking korma..instant mix sounds great..ReplyDelete
Thanks Usha Rani.. yes it is really very handy spice mix.Delete
What a super idea to make this kurma mix ready to use. This would certainly save a lot of time. Perfect to take with you when you are travelling.ReplyDelete
Yes Mina. Very handy oneDelete
What an idea to keep this korma spice mix handy ..sudden craving for kurma can be easily satisfied and we need not keep searching for ingredients to prepare fresh masalaReplyDelete
True Priya. It is very convenientDelete
Kurma mix is so versatile and comes in handy. Wonderful recipe . Would love to try this sometime soon.ReplyDelete
Wow Shobhaji, I never knew there was a spice mix for kurma too.. Love the coconut addition. Another spice mix on my list to tryReplyDelete
Thanks Sarika. Very handy spice mix.Delete