Mango ginger, also known as Curcuma Amada / Amba Haldi / Aam Adrak is a plant from ginger family closely related to turmeric. It resembles ginger but has a raw mango taste. In South India it is mostly used to make pickles. ( Mamidi Allam - Telugu ) (Mangai Inji - Tamil)
Mango ginger - 1 cup (grated)
Turmeric powder ... 1/8 tsp
Red chilli powder ... 1/2 tsp (add more if you like)
Salt ........... to taste
Jaggery ....... 1 tbsp (grated)
Tamarind juice ... 2 - 3 tbsps (to your liking)
Oil ......... 6-7 tbsps
Mustard seeds .. 1/2 tsp
Methi /fenugreek seeds ...... 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds ............. 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds ... 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida ....... 2-3 pinches.
1. Wash the ginger and wipe it dry with a kitchen napkin. Grate it. I have grated it with the skin as it has lot of health benefits.
2. In a saucepan heat oil and add the tempering ingredients.
3. When the mustard seeds crackle tip in the grated ginger and saute.
4. Add salt, ground spices, tamarind pulp and grated jaggery.
5. Continue to stir until the jaggery melts.
6. Now add the turmeric and chilli powder.
7. Stir until the oil separates.
8. Let it cool. Store it in a sterilized jar in the refrigerator.
Note: I have made it sweet and sour. If you like you may skip the jaggery and make it only spicy and tangy.