This is a traditional Sindhi onion pickle made without oil. Unlike other pickles this has just a few ingredients and it is very easy to make. This pickle and the carrot pickle (sandhyala gajroon) are must in all the Sindhi weddings and are made in large quantities to be served with the meals. But for regular use it is better to make in smaller quantity and consume fast as the shelf life of this is not much. Since there is no oil content it gets fungus easily. It is better to refrigerate it after it is ready.
Small onions - 200 gms
White mustard seeds ... 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder ........ 1 tsp
Red chilli powder ...... 1 tsp
Vinegar ................... 2-3 tbsps
Crushed garlic ........ few cloves (use green garlic during the season)
Water ................... 2 cups or more to the level of the onions. (use boiled and cooled water)
Salt ......................... as needed
1. Peel the small onions and slit them (criss-cross) from the larger side half way through.
2. Grind the white mustard seeds coarsely.
3. Take a sterilized jar and mix all the ingredients.
4. Cover it and allow the pickle to mature giving the bottle a shake everyday.
5. In about 5-6 days the pickle should be ready for consumption.
Looks nice..new recipe for me..ReplyDelete
very nice and lovely tangy pickleReplyDelete
Thank u AmritaDelete
new variety of pickle... looks good,,,ReplyDelete
Thanks for likingDelete
Looks delicious lovely onion pickleReplyDelete
My wife’s one of her favourite acchar!!ReplyDelete
She is so excited try with a garlic in it!!