The most popular breakfast of Maharashtra !
Hardly takes time to prepare. We usually serve it with a topping of finely chopped onion, coriander leaves and Bikaneri sev and a squeeze of lemon juice over it. Tastes Divine !
Poha (rice flakes)..... 1 cup
Onion ..... 1 ( sliced)
Green chillies ... 2 ( finely chopped)
Curry leaves ... a sprig
Turmeric powder ... 1/4 tsp.
Cumin powder ...... 1/2 tsp.
Salt .... to taste
Cumin seeds ... 1 tsp.
Asafoetida ...... a pinch
Dry red chillies ... 2
Coriander leaves .... handful
Onion ...... 1 finely chopped
Bikaneri sev ...... ( optional)
1. Put the poha in a colander/sieve and wash lightly under running water. Set them aside for 5-10 minutes, sprinkling a little water over them once or twice. They should be soft but not sticky and mushy.
2. Meanwhile boil the potato and cut it into small pieces. Set aside.
3. In a sauce pan. heat a little oil and add the tempering ingredients. When they crackle add the sliced onion. Saute it add the boiled potato pieces, green chillies and curry leaves. Add cumin powder, turmeric powder and salt.
4. Now put the soaked poha into the pan and stir lightly until everything is mixed well. Simmer for 1-2 minutes.
5. Serve it in individual plates, garnishing with coriander, onion and Bikaneri sev. Squeeze out a little lemon juice on top.
Serves ... 2-3
Preparation time ... 20 minutes
Spice level ..... 3 out of 5