Chana dal ... 2 cups
Green chillies .. 2 (chopped)
Salt ................ to taste
Turmeric powder .... 1/2 tsp.
Amchoor powder .. 1 tsp.
Coriander powder ... 1 tsp.
Cumin powder ......... 1 tsp.
Red chilli powder ... 1 tsp.
Garam masala ........ 1/2 tsp.
Oil ...... 2-3 tbsps.
1. Wash and soak dal for at least 2-3 hours. Cook it adding enough water, green chillies, salt and turmeric. Dal should remain whole and not over cooked. Just stir with the spoon to mash it a little. ( You may pressure cook it also but take care not to over cook it )
2. Sprinkle all the tempering spice powders mentioned above and pour hot oil over them just before serving.
Maida ..... 2-3 cups
Salt ........ to taste
Oil ........ 2 tbsps. to mix with the flour
Caraway/kummel seeds .. 1 tbsp
Water ......... to knead the dough
Oil to fry the pakwans.
1. Mix the salt, oil and caraway seeds with the flour. Knead into a soft dough adding enough water. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a kadai to fry the pakwans.
3. Roll out thin rotis. Prick with the fork or knife all over the roti so that it does not puff up while frying. It has to be flat and crisp like papdi. Let them cool. Store in an air-tight container.
(Tip: always fry 2 pakwans together in a kadai one on top of the other, turning each one from time to time. This way they will not puff up. You can store them for a few days and use the left over pakwans to make Bhel or Papdi Chat)
Click HERE to see the Seero recipe.