Summer is the time when mangoes are available and we start making pickles. There is also enough sunlight to keep the pickles out for maturing. This time I tried out a simple Hing Wala Aam ka Achar. This pickle has a strong flavour of hing or asafoetida compared to other pickles.
If you are making a small quantity then you need very little oil and the pickle can be stored in the refrigerator. But for large quantity it is better to have the oil floating on top which enables the pickle to last longer. Preferably mustard oil is better for pickles. However you may use other oils too if you like.
Raw mangoes .... 2 cups (diced)
Asafoetida .... 1/2 tsp
Salt ................ 3-4 tbsps
Jaggery ......... 2 tsps
Turmeric powder .. 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder .. 1/2 tsp
Mustard oil ...... 1/4 cup
1. Wash the mangoes well and wipe them with a kitchen napkin.
2. Cut them into small pieces with or without the skin as you like.
3. Mix the salt and leave them in a glass jar overnight.
4. Mix the remaining ingredients into the jar using a wooden spoon.
5. Heat the mustard oil to a smoking point and let it cool.
6, Stir it into the jar and shake.
7. Keep the jar in the sunlight for the pickle to mature. Once ready you can refrigerate it as the quantity is small.