Thepla is a Gujarati flatbread made with wheat flour, fenugreek (methi) leaves and some spices for flavouring. The dough is kneaded with yogurt. Apart from methi you can also use some grated vegetables like doodhi, mooli palak for a change. You can serve them with some pickle or chunda for breakfast or even during lunch with some vegetables. Theplas are very healthy and can stay good in the refrigerator for a week. You can prepare them ahead and store when you are expecting some guests.
Whole wheat flour ... 2 cups
Methi leaves ........... 1/2 cup
Coriander leaves ..... 1/4 cup
Yogurt ................... 1/4 cup
Oil ........... 1 tbsp
Ghee ....... 1 tsp (for the dough)
Green chillies ..... 1-2 finely chopped
Turmeric powder .. 1/4 tsp
Salt ....................... to taste
Oil ..................... as needed for making the theplas.
1. In a pan take 1 tbsp of oil and saute the methi and coriander leaves for half a minute.
2. Add the turmeric powder, green chillies and salt.
3. Take the flour in a big bowl or parat (thali). Add the sauteed greens and a tsp of ghee.
4. Knead the dough with yogurt and a little water if needed.
5. Rest the dough for an hour if you have time.
6. Make rotis and roast them on the griddle brushing a little oil on each side towards the end.
7. Serve them for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Serve with pickle and dahi for breakfast
A perfect meal..even I make it oftenReplyDelete
The theplas are a regular in our household , its a traditional guju breakfast. Yours look so delicious.ReplyDelete
Thank you Nayna.. Compliment coming from a Gujarati on a Gujarati dish is a great feeling:)Delete
Can't get enough of these Methi Thepla..with masala chai it's a match made in heaven!ReplyDelete
True Jagruti.. love them too..Delete
I love these thin version of theplas. They are ideal to carry for picnics and long journeys.ReplyDelete
Yes Mayuri.. perfect for travels and picnic.Delete