Sambharo is a Gujarati warm and crunchy stir-fried salad served as an accompaniment with the meals or with snacks like fafda, papdi and dhoklas. It is made with grated or finely diced vegetables like cabbage, carrot, beetroot, raw papaya and radish either separately or combined together. A simple tempering of mustard seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves is added along with finely chopped green chillies, coriander leaves, salt and lemon juice for flavouring.
Beetroots .... 2 small
Carrots ....... 2 small
Muskmelon and pumpkin seeds .. 1 tsp each (optional)
Mustard seeds .. 1 tsp
Fenugreek / methi seeds .. 1/3 tsp
Asafoetida ... a generous pinch
Curry leaves ... 1 sprig
Green chillies ... 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
Lemon juice .... 1 tbsp (add more if you like)
Salt ........... to taste
Oil .......... 2 tbsps
1. Wash, peel and grate the carrots and beetroots.
2. Roast the muskmelon and pumpkin seeds and set aside for garnishing.
3. In a pan add the oil and add the mustard seeds, methi seeds and asafoetida.
4. When they crackle add the curry leaves and the green chillies.
5. Tip in the grated vegetables. Saute for a minute.
6 Season with salt and lemon juice. Keep stirring for half a minute. The vegetables have to remain crunchy. Do not overcook them.
8. Garnish with roasted seeds before serving.
Pin for later
You may also like:
Moong Sprout Salad