Amaranth leaves have a very high nutritional value and are listed among the super foods. In India we make a variety of dishes with these leaves. It is cooked with lentils to make a stir-fry or kneaded with dough to make rotis..it is added to dals .. the list is endless.
Here is a recipe of theplas made with red amaranth. You can saute the leaves like I have done or add the finely chopped ones straight away into the flour. The other add ons can be as per your choice. Knead the dough with yogurt or water.. as you like. These make a perfect lunch box menu and you can carry on your journeys as well. You can serve them with dal, curd and pickle.. They taste so good with chunda.
Wheat flour ... 2 cups or as needed
Red Amaranth .. 2 cups finely chopped.
Cumin seeds ... 1 tbsp
Desi ghee or oil ....... 1 tbsp in the dough and more for making rotis.
Coriander leaves .. handful
Green chillies ..... 1-2 finely chopped or crushed
Turmeric powder ... 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder ... 1 tsp
Yogurt .............. 1 cup
1. Heat a little ghee or oil in a pan.Add cumin seeds.
2. Add the finely chopped and washed greens and saute for a minute adding salt.
4. Mix this into the flour along with 1 spoon ghee, coriander leaves, chopped green chillies and mentioned spice powders.
5. Knead the dough using yogurt and add water if needed.
6. Rest the dough for one hour or until you are ready to make the theplas. Roll out a small portion into a roti.
7. Roast it on a griddle.When done smear a little ghee on it to keep it soft.