This sweet always will remind me of my friend Chandni. In Mumbai we used to go out for shopping together. She was buying all the ingredients to make date and nut laddoos. I found the recipe so simple and very healthy and tried out at home with a little variation. I made them into rolls. Chandni remarked that these looked more attractive than the laddoos.
Dates ........ 200 gms.
Walnuts .... 1/4 cup
Almonds ... 1/4 cup
Pistachios.. 1/4 cup
Cashewnuts... 1/4 cup
Poppy seeds ... 2 tbsps.
Ghee (clarified butter) ... 1 tbsp.
1. Cut the nuts into pieces and dry roast them for 1-2 minutes on medium flame.
2. Dry roast the poppy seeds for half a minute.
3. Take a level spoonful of ghee in a non-sticky pan and add the chopped dates. Stir fry the dates crushing them with a wooden spatula on medium flame for 5-7 minutes until they become soft and pulpy.(if the dates are not fresh it may take a little more time)
4. Reduce the flame and add the nuts and mix them well.
5. Remove this into a plate and allow this mixture to cool a bit. Rub a little ghee to your palms and make a cylindrical shape.
6. Spread the poppy seeds on a flat surface and roll it in this.
7. Refrigerate it for one hour. Cut into round slices.
This is a very healthy and sugar-free sweet