This is a traditional recipe of aamras from Karnataka and Maharashtra. In Karnataka it is known as Rasayana while the Mumbaikars call it Aambyaachi Shikaran. It is basically mango pulp with some jaggery or sugar, milk or coconut milk and cardamom powder for flavoring. My personal preference is coconut milk any day. Shikaran or rasayana can be relished all by itself or eaten with neer dosa or puri. The traditional method of making it is by squeezing out the pulp from the ripe mangoes by hand but these days people just use a mixie. It is a perfect summer treat when mangoes are in season.
Mangoes .... 2
Jaggery ..... 1 or 2 tbsps (as per your liking and the sweetness of the mangoes.)
Coconut milk .... 1/2 cup (you may use milk instead if you prefer)
Cardamom powder .. 1/4 tsp
Salt .............. 1 pinch to balance the flavours.
1. Wash the mangoes and wipe them dry with a kitchen cloth.
2. Squeeze out the pulp in a bowl.
3. Mix the jaggery powder well until it dissolves.
4. Add the cardamom powder and salt.
5. Stir in the coconut milk and refrigerate until you serve.