This is a healthy version of flat bread that you can make and enjoy with delicious veg and non veg curries. Home made bread, fresh from the oven is irresistible. It has no preservatives too. Once you start baking your own breads you will never go for the ready ones bought from a store.
You can also try out some variations each time you bake by sprinkling sesame seeds, flax seeds or some herbs for a change..
Whole wheat flour .... 2 cups or as needed
Yeast ....................... 2 tsps
Sugar ..................... 2 tsps
Salt ....................... about 1/2 tsp
Olive oil or butter .... 2 tbsps
Nigella seeds .......... 2 tbsps ( as needed )
Milk ....................... 3-4 tbsps for brushing
1. Take 1/2 cup luke warm water and add the sugar.
2. Sprinkle yeast granules, cover and set aside in a warm place until frothy.
3. Take the flour in a large mixing bowl.
4. Pour the activated yeast mixture little by litle and mix.
5. Add salt at this stage. Mix it.
6. Also add 2 tbsps of oil or melted butter.
7. Knead the dough well adding little luke warm water as needed.
8. Knead well until you get a soft and pliable dough.
9. gather it into a round ball shape and place it in the glass bowl.
10. Cover it with a cling film and set it aside for proofing until it is double in size.
11. Whole wheat flour takes longer time to rise. (about 2 hrs in summer and maybe more time in winter)
12. Knock the dough lightly to remove air bubbles.
13. Divide it into 5 or 6 pieces as desired and roll them out slightly thicker.
14. Brush the milk on the surface and sprinkle some nigella seeds.
15. Press them lightly so that they stick in the bread.
16. Set them aside on a parchment paper spread in a baking tray.
17. Keep them covered or in the oven (not heated) for 1 hour.
18. Now bake them in a pre-heated oven at 300 C for 10 to 12 minutes or until done.
19. Cool them and store in a zip lock bag or an air tight box.
20. Just before serving heat them directly over the gas flame on both sides using tongs.
21. Brush little ghee or clarified butter.
22. Serve them with any veg or non veg curry.
See the recipe video:
This recipe is part of the A-Z Recipe Challenge in a facebook group wherein we bloggers come together and choose key ingredients alphabetically to make and post a dish every month. The alphabet for the month of April is "N" We have to select an ingredient with N and make our dish. I chose nigella seeds and made this bread.