Palak ka shorba is an Indian version of spinach soup. The flavours of whole spices added while cooking give a lovely taste to it. Spinach is loaded with nutrition which makes this soup the most healthiest one. For variation sometimes people like to add tomatoes or lentils to it. You may also add milk or cream to it.
Baby spinach ... 2 cups
Onion .... 1 small
Garlic [aste.... 1 tsp
Ginger paste .. 1/2 tsp
Black or white pepper .. 2 pinches
Black cardamom .. 1
Bay leaf ............... 1
Cinnamon stick .... 1 small piece
Salt ................ to taste
Butter or oil .... 1 tbsp
Vegetable stock or water .. as needed.
Cream ......... 1 tbsp (optional)
1. In a pan melt the butter (or add oil)
2.Tip in the back cardamom, cinnamon and bay leaf.
3. When they give out an aroma add the ginger garlic followed by diced onion.
4. Saute until translucent.
5. Add the spinach and salt.
6. Stir fry for a minute and add cumin powder 2 cups of vegetable stock or water.
7. Simmer to cook for about 8-10 minutes.
8. Discard the whole spices and blend the shorba.
9. Adjust the consistency to your liking.
10. You may add cream at this stage if you like.
11. Garnish with black or white pepper powder before serving.
Pin for later
You may also like:
Spinach and Potato Soup (with roasted oats)
Spinach Soup with Chicken Capeletti