Here is a simple and delicious dal recipe for spicy food lovers made with authentic Kolhapuri masala that I got from Kolhapur recently.
Home made Kolhapuri Masala Recipe
Chana dal ... 1 cup
Onion ....... 1 small
Ginger ...... 1 tsp (grated)
Garlic ....... 5-6 cloves (crushed)
Turmeric powder .. 1/4 tsp
Amchoor powder ... 1 tsp
Kolhapuri Masala powder ... 1 tbsp ( use less if you want it milder)
Coconut milk ... 1/4 cup (optional)
Salt ............. to taste
Coriander leaves ... handful
Oil ........... 3 tbsps.
1. Soak chana dal overnight.
2. Heat oil in a pan and saute the finely chopped onion until translucent.
3. Tip in the ginger and garlic. Add a little water and simmer.
4. Now add the soaked chana dal, salt and turmeric powder.
5. Add about 2 cups water and simmer to cook until chana dal is almost cooked. It should remain grainy. Do not over cook it to the mushy consistency.
6. Now add the Kolhapuri masala, amchoor powder and 1/4 cup coconut milk or water. Adjust the thickness of the gravy to your liking.
7. Add coriander leaves and cook for one minute.
This can be served with rice or rotis.
Looks colorful and yummyReplyDelete
Thanks Subhashini :)Delete
rich luking and the color is so good.ReplyDelete
Thanks Usha Rani :)Delete
Chana with kohlapuri masala sounds good. There are some wonderful masalas being sold in India and I miss them. Your link to the home made kohlapuri masala didn't work. I am very interested in the recipe so please share it with me.ReplyDelete
Thanks Mina .. I have edited the link.. It is working now.Delete
Anything Kolhapuri and I am a sucker for itReplyDelete
Yes specially if you love spicy food :)Delete
I have never tried kohlapuri madala begore , what ingredients are in it, is it like garam masala?ReplyDelete
It is very spicy Nayna.. I have linked it to the masala recipe page .. check it outDelete
Chana daal with kolhapuri masala sounds interesting and tempting! Gorgeous colour.ReplyDelete
Thanks Jagruti.. a treat for spicy food lovers.Delete
A flavorful dal, with all the wonderful spices. I haven't made dal using chana dal alone.ReplyDelete
Thanks.. we cook chana dal a lot by itself in Sindhi cuisine..Delete