Here is a simple and delicious dal recipe for spicy food lovers made with authentic Kolhapuri masala that I got from Kolhapur recently.
Home made Kolhapuri Masala Recipe
Chana dal ... 1 cup
Onion ....... 1 small
Ginger ...... 1 tsp (grated)
Garlic ....... 5-6 cloves (crushed)
Turmeric powder .. 1/4 tsp
Amchoor powder ... 1 tsp
Kolhapuri Masala powder ... 1 tbsp ( use less if you want it milder)
Coconut milk ... 1/4 cup (optional)
Salt ............. to taste
Coriander leaves ... handful
Oil ........... 3 tbsps.
1. Soak chana dal overnight.
2. Heat oil in a pan and saute the finely chopped onion until translucent.
3. Tip in the ginger and garlic. Add a little water and simmer.
4. Now add the soaked chana dal, salt and turmeric powder.
5. Add about 2 cups water and simmer to cook until chana dal is almost cooked. It should remain grainy. Do not over cook it to the mushy consistency.
6. Now add the Kolhapuri masala, amchoor powder and 1/4 cup coconut milk or water. Adjust the thickness of the gravy to your liking.
7. Add coriander leaves and cook for one minute.
This can be served with rice or rotis.