Panatone/Panettone is a sweet bread made during the Christmas and New Year. Although you can find panatone or panettone recipe in other countries like France, Switzerland and some Latin American ones, the origination is traced back to the city of Milan (Italy) where it is the symbol of the city. As Italians immigrated to the United States and other countries they took their recipes with them making this sweet fruit bread popular all over the world.
Flour ..... 3 cups
Eggs ...... 3
Butter .... 1/2 cup
Sugar ..... 1/4 cup ( If you like it sweeter add a little more)
Salt ....... 3/4 tsp
Lemon rind ... 1 tsp (grated)
Raisins ....... 3/4 cup (black and golden)
Candied fruit .. 1/2 cup
Fresh yeast ..... 30 gms (2 cubes)
(You may use 2 tbsps. of dry yeast if fresh one is not available)
Panatone essence .... 1 tbsp
2. Add the eggs one by one and continue beating.
3. If using fresh yeast, just crumble it into the mixture. But if you are using dry yeast, you have to add it to 1/3 cup of luke warm water or milk along with a tsp of sugar. Leave it to become frothy in a warm place and then add to the mix.
4. Now add only 2 cups of flour slowly while beating. Save 1 cup for later use.
5. Add the essence, salt, raisins and candied fruit.
7. Leave it in a covered bowl for 2 hours until it rises to double. In winter it may take longer. You can place it in a warm oven.
8. Punch the dough and knead it. Place it in a greased pan. Cover and leave it to rise to double. (you can brush with egg white for a glaze on top)
Note: the time and temperature may vary depending on the type of oven you are using. You have to check it out.
You can also watch the video of this recipe