Green tomatoes are loaded with nutrition. Hence we should include them in our diet in some way or the other. You can make chutneys, curries, stir fries etc. etc. Here is a simple and tasty chutney recipe made with green tomatoes. It can be served with snacks or main meals as an accompaniment. This chutney stays good in the refrigerator for few days as it has no onion or coconut added to it.
Ingredients: Green tomatoes ..... 4 Sesame seeds .... 2 tbsps Tamarind ............. small piece Green chillies ...... 2-3 Asafoetida .......... 2 pinches Coriander leaves .... 1/2 cup Oil ...................... 3-4 tbsps Salt .................... to taste
1. Dry roast the sesame seeds.
2. Cut the tomatoes into pieces.
3. Heat the oil in a pan and add asafoetida.
4. Next add the green chillies, tamarind and tomatoes.
5. Stir them well. Cook until they are soft.
6. Add salt, coriander leaves and the roasted sesame seeds.
7. Remove from the gas and let it cool.
8. Grind the chutney.
9. If you wish to add a tempering you can do that. But this chutney tastes so good even without the tadka. Store it in the refrigerator. It stays good for few days.
Your green tomato chutney is different from what I make. I love this one too. Must try.ReplyDelete
Thanks Archana. I would love to try out your version too.Delete
Tomato kaI is what we used to call this veggie. Amazing chutney ans perfect with rice / dosaReplyDelete
Ok. nice to learn a new name. Thanks for liking the chutney KalyaniDelete
We mostly use green tomatoes to make a classic Southern dish here - Fried Green Tomatoes but this is such a tart and tangy chutney - goes great with paneer tikkaReplyDelete
Thanks Mireille. Do make this chutney. It pairs well with all the snacks.Delete