Birista or crisp deep fried onions are really handy to have them in your kitchen. You can quickly prepare your meats and curries using them. You can also use them as a garnish on rice dishes. Biriyani is incomplete without the garnish of birista.
You can prepare a large quantity when you have some free time and refrigerate in an air tight jar. You may even freeze them in zip lock bags. For better result you can spread the sliced onions on a plastic sheet and dry them in the sunlight for a couple of hours if you have the facility, which we miss living in apartments.
Onions .... 1 kg or as needed
Oil ......... 3 cups
1. Peel and slice the onions finely.
2. Heat oil and fry the onion on high flame for 8-10 minutes.
3. Now reduce to medium and continue to fry stirring the onion from time to time.
4. When it gets a nice golden colour and is crisp enough drain it in a sieve and spread it on a kitchen paper towels. (avoid using news papers)
5. When it is cool enough, fill it in an air tight container or jar. You can also freeze it in zip lock bags.
I usually prepare enough to last for a month and just refrigerate it.