Commonly used as seasoning, curry leaf adds a special flavour to every dish. But there is more to the humble curry leaf than simply flavour. It has many health benefits too.. We can also consume them in the form of chutneys, pickles and spice powders.
Today I have made a dry chutney with curry leaves. This spicy, tangy and flavourful chutney powder can be made and stored to serve as an accompaniment with your meals. It goes well with idlis, dosas, puris, parathas.. You can even add a spoonful to the curries to enhance the flavour for a change. Left-over rice made with this also tastes awesome.
Curry leaves .... 2 cups
Dry red chillies .. 8-10 (as per your preference)
Chana dal .......... 2 tbsps
Urad dal ........... 2 tbsps
Sesame seeds ... 1 tbsp
Tamarind ......... lemon size ball
Jaggery ........... 1 tsp
Salt .............. to taste
Asafoetida ... 1/4 tsp
Oil .............. 2 tbsps
1. Wash the curry leaves after removing them from the stems. Dry them on a kitchen towel to remove the moisture.
2. In a pan dry roast the dals until light brown. Remove in a plate.
3. Also dry roast the sesame seeds. Remove from the pan.
4. Heat the tamarind in the same pan to soften it. Remove.
5. Dry roast the red chillies taking care not to make them black. Remove them.
6. Now heat 2 tbsps oil and reduce the flame. Add asafoetida and curry leaves. Fry them until crisp on low flame retaining the green colour.
7. Now dry grind all the ingredients together adding salt and jaggery to a little coarser texture.
Store it in a sterilized jar.
Pin for later
You may also like:
Peanut and Garlic Chutney